Since it’s the start to a fresh New Year, I thought the first recipe of the year should be easy, healthy and light!
The following recipe is so easy to make and won’t wreck your weight loss efforts.
- 4 Halibut Fillets (2-3 ounces)
- Salt n Peppa
- Low Sodium Salsa
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp capers
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a baking dish, place fillets of fish and season with Salt n Peppa
- In a separate bowl, mix salsa, olives, capers and lemon juice
- Pour mix on top of fillets
- Bake for 15 minutes
How easy was that! If you’re starting a low carb New Year, then try serving this fish along side some steamed asparagus or zucchini or even some cauliflower rice. If you’re aiming for a well balanced meal, try a 1/2 cup of whole grain rice or couscous.
If you have similar delicious recipes that are figure friendly, please feel free to submit them!
Happy New Year!
I love anything that involves creamy sweet potatoes and crunchy peanut butter! As I browsed through online recipes, I came across an African recipe that incorporated both of my top favorite food items! The recipe looked and sounded scrumptious, but the taste was indescribable! Not to mention that the preparation of this African soup was way too simple!
Get your cutting boards out and let’s start chopping!
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 chopped sweet potato
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1 can chickpeas
- 4 cups veggie broth
- Saute garlic in pot
- Mix in veggies until slightly cooked
- Throw in tomato paste, peanut butter and cayenne
- stir until smooth looking
- Pour veggie broth
- cover and simmer for 30 min or more
Serve hot and with love!
I actually enjoyed this soup with a side of brown rice, but feel free to have some whole grain rolls if you like
Mmmm… did I mention that I love food!
On Friday, I posted an article about the powerful anti-oxidants found in red-fleshed fruits. I was inspired to search around for a simple and tasty recipe that featured red plums and preferably some protein to create a well-balanced meal.
I found this recipe that combines protein-packed shrimp, anti-oxidant rich plums and other interesting flavors.
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 2 plums, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Salt n Peppa
- Kebab skewer sticks
- Turn grill up on medium heat
- In a bowl, mix oil, lime juice and salt n peppa
- Save 3 tbsp of dressing for later
- Toss shrimp and plums in the bowl and marinate
- Hook up your skewer with shrimp-plum-shrimp-plum-shrimp
- Grill the kebab four minutes on each side
- Place on a plate and pour remaining dressing on top
These low fat kebabs incorporate sweet and sour flavors that will satisfy your taste buds while providing your body with muscle boosting protein and anti-oxidants. Serve this on a bed of fresh spinach salad and enjoy!
Mmm mm good!
Earlier this week, I posted an article about the benefits of super green kale. Soon after, I was bombarded with great emails inquiring about great recipes that incorporate Kale. So I listened, and found a great simple Kale Soup recipe you can cook up for your sweetheart!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup parsley
- 4 cups chopped raw kale
- 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 cans white beans
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt n Peppa
- Heat olive oil in large pot
- Saute garlic and onions until clear and soft
- Add Kale and stir until it wilts
- Add broth, beans, salt n peppa, seasoning and parsley
- let it simmer on low for 30 minute
Serve this hearty kale soup with a roasted chicken and whole grain rolls. I love this combo of lean protein, nutritious veggies and whole grains.
Hits the spot every time!