I have started the term “Dirty Couch Sunday” a while ago and somehow, it’s starting to catch on among most of my friends.
“Dirty Couch Sunday” is my favorite day of the week, where I take the day to recover, rest, relax and recharge from my week. I also like to save my cheat meal for this day.
This day can be any day, for example Dirty Couch Monday, Tuesday, etc. As long as it’s YOUR day, then that’s all that matters.
When it comes to building a beautiful physique, nutrition and exercise are key to achieving that. But another important factor that individuals forget to pay attention to, is proper rest and recovery.
Proper rest, recovery and sleep are essential in building muscle and promoting optimum weight loss. Over training and lack of sleep can lead to injury, and less visible results. Other side effects are fatigue, decrease in testosterone and Human Growth Hormone, and loss of muscle mass.
Not resting can counteract all the hard work that you put in at the gym, so make sure that you make the time and have yourself a “Dirty Couch Day!”
So what does a “Dirty Couch Sunday” entail?
1. Sleeping in. Depending on an individual’s lifestyle and eating habits, most experts recommend that people get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night or else it could be harmful to overall health. Personally, I try my best to get 7 each night, but on Sunday, I try to recharge and stay in bed and even get in up to 10 or 11 hours.
3. Ugly pajamas ONLY. This is MY day… I want to be comfy and wear my MC Hammer sweat pants and sweat shirt, or off-the-shoulder 80′s shirt. The comfier, the more relaxed I’m going to be, so feel free to wear some fun, pajama gear on this day On Sunday, I typically roll out of bed slowly, brush my teeth, and drag my blanket or snuggie to the living room where I will continue to enjoy more rest. Showering may lead me to feeling fresh and energized, and even cause me to decide on leaving the house and diverting from the original plan: resting and recovering.
4. Only mindless and boring TV allowed. The TV station/show that I decide on can definitely impact my rest. I typically look for light comedy (Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell movies are great!), or mindless TV shows that will cause me to close my eyes again and nap (History channel always works). I try to avoid any shows that require extreme concentration and adrenaline boost, because that can lead to disrupting my peaceful state.
5. Ready-to-eat food and beverage. On this day, you do not want to be bothered with preparing meals. I usually have food prepped from the day before (grilled chicken, brown rice, veggies, or even prepared sandwiches) or order delivery from a local restaurant. I also like to save my cheat meal for my Dirty Couch Days, so I might order pizza, or chicken picatta with whole grain penne. Even a nice beverage is acceptable while lounging to enhance relaxation. Chocolate? Why not!
6. Nap and more naps! I would say that I probably nap 2-3 times throughout the day until my bed time at 10pm. Since you really don’t want to worry about the next day, I suggest prepping for Monday the day before. I usually get my gym and work clothes set aside on Saturday so that my Sunday can be interruption free! I also try to get any work done prior so that I don’t have to stress about anything on Sunday.
7. No interruptions please. If you have people to call, I suggest making all your calls within hours of waking. After that, turn off your smart phone, and stay off Facebook and Twitter. The world can wait! I usually call my Mom and Dad early to check in and say hello, and then turn off my phone. I feel that this is MY day and I am going to be selfish and shut everyone out of my little bubble for the day. The more interactions with others that I have throughout the day, the more chances that I may be exposed to drama and could even shift and ruin my peaceful Dirty Couch Sunday I only have one day a week to recover like this, so I definitely cherish it. Your good friends and family will understand
So let’s go over “Dirty Couch Sunday” one more time.
It goes like this….
* Wake up from 10+ hours of sleep
* Brush teeth
* Grab your blanket and prep your couch/ sofa
* Grab your easy breakfast and head back to the couch (oatmeal, protein shake, egg sandwich etc)
* Find a mindless show
* Wake up slowly and watch more TV
* Eat & drink
* Eat & drink
* Watch a little more TV
* Get ready for bed
Yay!!! I love my DIRTY COUCH SUNDAYS!!!!
Do you have a “Dirty Couch” Day?
If so, which one is it?
What do you do to rest and recover?
Do you have a favorite TV Show?
What’s your favorite meal or beverage on this day?
I would love to hear!