I recently had a delicious side dish from an Ethiopian Vendor while visiting a local fresh food market. I can’t seem to remember the actual name of the dish, but it was a mixture of steel cut oats and cauliflower. The flavors, textures and overall taste was so comforting and yummy.
As usual, the mad scientist in me tried to recreate this dish
Not only did I recreate this recipe, I reinvented it! Instead of just cauliflower, I added more veggies, broth, beans and spices.. End result: AMAZING
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomato
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- salt n peppa
- Italian seasoning or curry depending on your taste (I love curry!)
- Bring your veggie broth to a boil
- throw your oats in, lower heat and let it simmer for 5-10 min
- In a wok, sautee your veggies and chickpeas for a few minutes until almost cooked
- Don’t forget to season with your preferred choice of spices (italian or curry)
- 10 minutes after oats are cooking, combine the veggies and mix in.
- Let it simmer some more for another few minutes
- If you need more broth, feel free to add more too depending on what consistency you like
- I’m not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy vegetarian dishes throughout my week. This dish provides a complete protein (chickpeas + grains = complete protein), complex carbs and plenty of nutritents!
- I hope you enjoy my crazy yet yummy concoction!
Oh! and if you happen to know what that Ethiopian dish is called, I would love to hear from you!