When it comes to potent and fat blasting beverages, the hype has been on Green Tea. Companies have jumped on the green tea bandwagon infusing it in many of their products including supplements and liquids. Even Coca Cola has launched a Green Tea flavored coke!
I’m sure you’ve heard these statements already from your fitness friends: “Drink anti-oxidant rich green tea and lose weight!” “It has EGCG!” “It’s the best!”
Green tea is definitely potent and full of nutrients, but is it really the best? New research may show different….
The new kid on the block is White Tea!
Check out these interesting facts I found
So what is White tea? White tea is made from immature tea leaves that are picked shortly before the buds have fully opened. The tea takes its name from the silver fuzz that still covers the buds, which turns white when the tea is dried.
Benefits of White Tea:
- Least processed. Black, red and green teas are usually processed and air dried. White tea is merely steamed.
- Contains EGCG. White tea has been shown to have the highest levels of anti-oxidants than any other tea. A cup of white tea is generally considered to contain more antioxidants than a serving of broccoli, spinach, strawberries, and other healthy vegetables and fruits. Wow! A 2004 study at Pace University concluded that white tea can help boost your immune system to fight viruses and dangerous infection-causing bacteria
- Prevents fat storage. Ooooo … A recent study published in the journal of Nutrition and Metabolism revealed exciting results regarding white tea and weight loss. White tea showed to “inhibit adipogenesis and stimulate lipolysis-activity”, meaning that it stops the development of fat cells leading to a decrease in fat storage. http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/20
- Low in Caffeine. This is great for individuals with caffeine sensitivity who experience jitters. White tea still contains some caffeine to give you a good energy boost for your day. Plus, caffeine has been show to up your metabolism and fat burn.
- Yummy. White tea is so simple and delicate in flavor. Sometimes stronger teas like Black or Green can leave a bitter after taste. White tea is subtle tasting and mixes well with other teas and smoothies (check out this Sunday’s recipe for my ultimate healthy White Tea smoothie mmmm)
- Suppresses appetite. Similar to green tea, drinking white tea throughout the day will stave away hunger and cause you to eat less J
- Promotes healthy teeth. White tea contains little amounts of fluoride that have been shown to promote strong teeth and kill bacteria in the mouth that may cause plaque, tooth decay and yucky breath. White tea is less acidic and coloring agents as other teas, so there’s less worries in staining your bright whites!
- Promotes healthy skin and aging. Research from Kingston University in South West London shows white tea contains extracts that protect the structural proteins of the skin, namely collagen and elastin.
There are many varieties of White Teas to choose from like the Silver Needle (highest grade), White Peony, Tribute Eyebrow and Longlife Eyebrow. I always have a jar of White Peony on my desk so I can have it after lunch.
I believe all the teas provide their own unique benefits, so instead of choosing one over the other try alternating and mixing your tea bags throughout the week. Personally, I like to seep a green and white tea bag together!