Here are just a few of my favorite snacks! (Notice how my snacks are well balanced, filled with protein, carbs & fat).
1. FAGE Total 0% Greek Yogurt & frozen blue berries. This is my dessert! Zero fat and packed with protein, FAGE Yogurt is unbelievably thick and creamy. Mix it with a cup of frozen blue berries and never crave ice cream again.
2. Blue Diamond 100 Calories per bag & an apple. Packed with fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, protein and other beneficial nutrients, almonds are always a great snack. These pre-packed 100 calorie bags are great for portion control. Almonds and other nuts are great, but moderation is key since they are high in fat. Compliment this pack with a red delicious.
Growing up in a Middle Eastern culture, hummus was a staple in my family’s diet. My mom would soak the chickpeas overnight, bring them to a boil and then toss in her special ingredients to create the creamiest hummus ever! Full of fiber packed chick peas, 2 tablespoons of hummus is a great low carb snack and a tasty dip with Vitamin A & C infused sweet peppers.
4. Sweet potato & peanut butter. You may be thinking “Ewwww Ghada! Sweet potato & peanut butter?” Yes! Please try this combo and you’ll thank me later. Sweet potatoes are delicious complex carbs, rich in beta carotene, anti-oxidants, other vitamins and minerals. Top this with with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and watch it melt. Just pure yummy. Peanut butter is very satisfying because it contains fiber, protein and other micro-nutrients. You’ll be full until dinner time.
5. Breakstone 2 % cottage cheese & 1 tbsp honey. Breakstone cottage cheese has to be the best tasting out there. Try Friendship brand too. Cottage cheese is low in fat and carbs, yet high in protein. Grab a snack pack and get your calcium and Vitamin D in for the day. Drizzle some honey on top, and dream about heaven. Honey is nature’s natural energy booster. Try a tablespoon an hour before a workout for better boost and endurance.
6. Rice cake & Turkey slices. A whole grain rice cake is low in fat and is only 35 calories a piece, so why not go for two! Top your rice cakes with white turkey meat slices and give your body a shot of amino acids, protein, folic acid, vitamin B’s and more.
7. Chocolate protein shake & a banana. I always carry ready-to-drink protein shakes or protein powder in my bag. Protein shakes are great satisfying drinks that can leave you full for hours. If you’re using them for a snack, go for a lower carb and moderate protein count. The combination of protein and carbs are very beneficial in aiding the repair of your tissues and building of your muscles. Have a potassium & fiber rich banana along with it. Banana’s natural sugars give you an energy boost too. Banana’s are the # 1 fruits among athletes.
8. String cheese & cucumber slices. Who doesn’t like low fat string cheese? Here’s another calcium rich snack that is low in carbs and fat. Slice up some chilled cucumbers and enjoy. Cucumbers are high in water and fiber so they’ll surely fill you up.
9. Boiled egg & Whole grain bread. Do I need to say anymore about eggs? If you haven’t read my article on eggs, click here and read about how you can drop the weight by adding them to your daily menu. Enjoy a hard boiled egg with a slice of whole grain bread. Try Ezekiel sprouted bread full of flax seed, barley and other nutritious whole grains.
10. Brown rice & 1/2 cup of black beans. I found this rice at the grocery store about a month ago. I love brown rice, but I’m so impatient in preparing it. Not to mention, I always burn the bottom and spend days soaking the pan to get the rice off. Minute Ready to Serve Brown Rice contains a little bit of safflower oil (healthy fat) and tastes amazing. I really have issues, because I think that I am truly addicted to it. I look forward to eating it everyday. With only 170 calories, this whole grain rice is a great snack or addition to my lunch. Add 1/2 a cup of black beans on top or mix it in. Eat slow and savor the flavor.
What are some of your favorite snacks? If you do try some of mine, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Click here to read about the “Love Your Life Program” and learn more about healthy eating and living.
I love you Smallworld Beauties!