My favorite place to go to for Sunday Brunch is a local Jewish Delicatessen called Pumpernicks Deli located in North Wales, PA. They offer a diner-like menu that serves the freshest foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My healthy Sunday treat to myself is their Russian Beef Borscht soup filled with chunks of tender beef, cabbage and other delicious flavors. If I love something, I try to figure out how to make it so I can have it more often! Plus, it will save me some money.
If you’re down to try a hearty, low cal, low fat recipe that tastes amazing then I suggest you put your apron on and start cooking!
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cans low sodium beef broth
- 10 cups water
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt n peppa
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (3 large cloves)
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced lengthwise (2 cups)
- 4 cups coarsely shredded beets
- 4 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 2 cups coarsely shredded carrots
- 1-1/2 cups thinly chopped celery
- 1-1/2 tsp sugar
- Brown the beef cubes in a skillet for just a few minutes
- Transfer beef to a soup pot
- Add broth, water, tomato paste, salt n peppa, sugar
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1.5 hours
- As soup is cooking, use vegetable oil to saute garlic, onions and veggies for 5 minutes
- Add veggies in to soup after 1.5 hours
- Bring soup to a boil then reduce to simmer again for 45 min without lid on
This is a slow cooking soup but the flavors are so worth it. You can sprinkle some parsley and dill on top, and I’ve even seen a dop of sour cream in the middle. If you need more taste, try a drizzle of lemon juice. Keep the them going and try a slice of Rye bread on the side.
Overall, this hearty soup will make your partner’s heart melt.