My uncle recently gave me a giant butternut squash from his farm. It sat in my kitchen for a week until I decided to cook it. I always love a good soup, so I decided to be creative with what I had in my fridge and create a butternut concoction.
- 1 large butternut Squash
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- a bunch of baby carrots
- few celery stalks
- Low sodium Chicken broth
- Salt n Peppa
- Saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil and let it brown.
- Add in the chopped celery and baby carrots and stir.
- Sprinkle your cinnamon and Salt n Peppa to season the mixture. When you see the mix turning brown, then add your low sodium chicken broth and let it simmer.
- Add your chopped butternut squash and cover.
- Let it cook on low for about an hour.
- Puree the soup in a blender and it’s ready to pour and serve!
Top this with a little low-fat sour cream or sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top. Serve with a whole grain roll.